Small collection of various scripts and tools, that turned out to be useful
for someone else too. Some are very outdated, but sometimes still useful as
a reference or example for a new project.
- ytpopinfo - A small script to display the thumbnail and title of a YouTube
link as desktop notification. It's meant to be used as an action for Xfce's
for YouTube URLs. The pattern and action command is at the top of the script.
- ls_color - Apply LS_COLORS as filter to stdin for locate or find tools.
It's very simple and optimized for speed. Because it uses a hash from the file suffixes to the ANSI colors,
it can rapidly output thousands of lines where bash's "if", "else" or "case" tests are magnitudes slower.
it will ignore the special devices values, because that would require each file to be accessed.
- besrv-0.3.pl - Tiny webserver that lets you connect
with an Android browser (tested: Firefox) which will open Binary Eye and send the result of the scan to the X destkop running this script. The script will then set the clipboard or
type the data similar to barcode readers with keyboard emulation. Well known tools (xclip, xdotool, notify-send) will
be used rather than pulling in lots of perl modules. WARNING: No security mechanism in place yet, anyone
connecting to port 5188 can trigger actions. It's a development proof of concept, but all the functions for
popup notification, setting of clipboard or typing the string are in place to play with. Ideally there would
be a pairing mechaism on the first connection, but that'll tripple the code size. Screenshots:
( 👁 Phone
| 👁 Notify
| 👁 Desktop )
- dpms-cpufreq - Daemon that monitors the DPMS state of a given display
port and adjusts the CPU scheduling governor. Typically powersave or shedutil during screen
blanking and performance while the display is on. On Gentoo, this init.d script
can use it as a service. It also uses a bash internal sleep function to not pollute the process list with sleep processes.
- borderless-latest.c - An X11 tool, that will disable the window manager decoration
of either the current window or any given x11 window id. It's best used as a hotkey similar to window maximize.
It goes without mentioning that this will not work on Wayland desktops. It's a plain C implementation I did after
running into problems with various Python solutions.
- ssh-askpass-pinentry - Simple wrapper to use pinentry as askpass
for OpenSSH. Install it somewhere and point the SSH_ASKPASS environment variable to it.
- updserial - A really old script that updates the serial field in
the SOA record of a ISC BIND zone file to something reasonable using a yyyymmddss (year, month, day and
incremental serial) format.
- rootlogin - Logs the real username of a person that uses SSH to login as root.
It's designed to have a more verbose logging with multiple root users and not to prevent evil stuff.
- xsetxenv and xsession-info.desktop -
A sane way to execute programs that require access to the X11 desktop. This includes cronjobs or a remote
SSH session to the system. The "xsession-info.desktop" should be put into the autostart folder
(~/.config/autostart or /etc/xdg/autostart) which will make it create "~/.xsession-vars". Now source (not
execute) "setxenv" to gain access to the X11 environment. You can also run a cronjob with access to
X11 by starting the command with the string "env $(<~/.xsession-vars)" in front of it.
- myps-0.4.pl - Displays a nice and colorful MySQL processlist,
designed to show large multi line queries.
- clip2win.pl - Opens a small boderless popup window with the current clipboard.
It's meant to be bound to a hotkey to zoom in on small emojis and symbols.
- client-tun0 and server-tun0 -
A minimalistic plain Bash approach to start a TCP/IP TUN tunnel over SSH. I've put the steps to set it up
in this documentation. The documentation also has some
additional infos, if you want to start it as a Gentoo OpenRC service.
- getifbytes - Creates network iface traffic data for MRTG directly
from Linux /proc without using any external tools like sed or awk.
- wrappointer-0.1.tar.gz - ⛼ Simple plain C tool to set the
X pointer location. xdotool
and similar utilities can also do this, so it's of limited use outside of coding examples.
- bbnotify-0.6.tar.gz - ⛼ Displays Big Brother information
with libnotify popups. With the rise of Nagios and Icinga, this became obsolete.
- e2ctrl-0.12alpha.tar.gz - ⛼ Simple Enigma 2 control tray icon app using gtk2-perl. Screenshots:
( 👁 1 |
👁 2 |
👁 3 |
👁 4 )